Cassis, France

Cassis, France
Cassis, France

Thursday, June 20, 2013

5 South Main, Cohasset, Massachusetts

See: http://5southmain.com


I am finally home for more than a few days at a time, and was grateful to enjoy a lovely breakfast with my husband on a sunny and warm Saturday morning at 5 South Main in Cohasset. (I am just back from Miami and am working on a post!)

5 South Main is located in the lovely Cohasset Village and serves breakfast and light lunch. (For those of you who don't live on the South Shore, if you ever have reason to go to a function at the Red Lion Inn, 5 South Main is just around the corner.) The dining room is cozy, particularly if you can get one of the coveted window seats, and there are a couple of tables outside for al fresco dining when the weather permits.

There are tons of homemade treats available daily, including muffins, cupcakes, and daily soup specials -- you can follow 5 South Main on Facebook for menu updates. Since our task was breakfast, however, we went right for the French toast. I opted for the original, while my husband went for the sampler -- one slice of the original and one slice of cinnamon roll version. The "original" consists of thickly sliced, locally baked cinnamon swirl bread that is grilled to golden perfection and topped with melted butter, cinnamon, and sugar. (I know that's a lot of superlatives, but this French toast is deserving of all of them, and then some.) It is simply some of the best French toast I've had in my life. The cinnamon roll version has all of these elements plus a few smears of icing for good measure. Tell me how that could be wrong. My only complaint is that 5 South Main does not offer real maple syrup, but the corn syrup based, fake kind. Our waitress (who was lovely and very attentive) assured us it would be ok to bring our own, so you better believe I'll be throwing that in my purse for next time (this may call for a maple syrup flask like device).

To feel better about our carb fest, we also shared a bowl of fruit -- a generous serving of seasonal melons, grapes and berries. I've said before that I usually skip coffee when out to breakfast as I find many restaurants don't pay it much attention, but the coffee at 5 South Main is pretty good, and no one complains if you ask for milk instead of cream.

If you're more of a pancake or a savory breakfast person (read: pancakes with chocolate chips, pecans, and caramel drizzle or crab cake eggs Benedict ), I'm sure you won't be disappointed. If you live in the area, a stop at nearby Holly Hill Farm for some weekly provisions or a hike is a nice way to wrap up the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment