Cassis, France

Cassis, France
Cassis, France

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Avo, Birmingham, Alabama

See: http://avorestaurant.com


Birmingham surprised me. I mean, really surprised me. I didn't do my homework before the trip, and didn't know what to expect with respect to food. Admittedly, I've spent only a little bit of time in the South. This time includes my first year of college (completed in rural South Carolina), during which time I could basically afford the dining hall, Waffle House, and maybe the buffet at Shoney's.

Avo is located in the lovely borough of Mountain Brook, and sits above Dram Whiskey Bar, her sister restaurant. While I just passed through Dram, it looks like a great spot: full of trendy, whiskey sipping 30-somethings. I did peek at the menu, and the offerings include southern comfort foods like bacon mac and cheese (complete with bacon from Kentucky) and lots of yummy sounding burgers. The menu even boasts a separate section, just for sauces.

Avo features California inspired cuisine made with local products, and the decor is cool and tranquil. I enjoyed the Pan-Roasted Gulf Day-Boat fish feature, which happened to be Red Snapper. The fish was served over a chickpea puree, cherry tomatoes, and garnished with fried capers (delicious). The menu offers a few different sized plates, including traditional appetizers, "mids" and mains, with a few side options so you can create the perfect meal. Both Dram and Avo offer gorgeous outdoor seating options.

In case you didn't know (and again, I sure didn't), Birmingham had five chefs named as semifinalists for various James Beard Awards in 2012, including Frank Stitt's of Highlands Bar and Grill, who was a semifinalist again in 2013 (for outstanding restaurant). Sounds like I need to plan a second visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment